Ask FRED: How Do I Get Rust off a Metal Outside Door?
- Scrape and sand off any loose rust from the door.
- Apply a rust converter in either a brush on or spray method.
- Let dry and follow the instructions listed for that particular product.
- Apply oil based primer and then top coat with an enamel paint on the entire door.
- Oil based paints will prevent further rusting.
- Some people may choose to use Rustoleum spray paint for a smooth finish.
- Masking off the areas of overspray is very important.
- Rustoleum has excellent ingredients for a long lasting finish over doors.